Customer Support Engineer
The Customer Support Engineer is responsible for ensuring the continued success of the customers' use of Azul Systems products. The engineer is the primary contact point for customers and is responsible for ensuring a timely and successful resolution of customer issues, often requiring the coordination of efforts of several resources inside and outside Azul.
While primarily an Azul JVM support role, activities on the systems side include assisting with installation and configuration, training, hardware, firmware and networking troubleshooting. The engineer also provides assistance as well as in-depth work with customers optimizing their application configuration to get the best from their investment in the Azul solution.
Additionally, there are several opportunities for more responsibilities to match a candidate's skills and goals.
The candidate must have experience in performance tuning applications on at least one J2EE application server, (e.g. Websphere, Weblogic, JBoss, Tomcat), and should have the ability to identify, analyze and resolve performance bottlenecks in complex server-side Java applications.
Experience with the major Unix variants and a general understanding of network architecture and operating systems concepts is required. The candidate must also possess the ability to communicate clearly and professionally with a strong commitment to customer success. This role includes providing first line support so periods of being on-call 24x7 may be required.
Job Experience and Skills Required
Candidates would have experience in the following areas:
- Expert troubleshooting and reasoning skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret technical data
- Strong understanding of Java concurrency
- Understanding of throughput, latency, memory and CPU utilization
- Experience developing or deploying distributed server-side Java software with a focus on high performance such as on transaction processing systems, real-time systems for telecoms or finance, etc.
- Experience performance tuning at least one J2EE application server (e.g. WebSphere, WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat)
- Good understanding of general network architecture and operating systems concepts
- Mastery of Unix commands & tools at the user level
- Working knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. shell, perl, python, etc.)
- Outstanding attention to detail and communication skills
- Customer facing experience and a strong commitment to customer success
- Ability to contribute to a 24x7 on-call rotation
The ideal candidate would possess:
- Working knowledge of database tuning and administration (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, SQLServer, DB2)
- Experience with at least two major server operating systems (Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Windows, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Java development tools and profilers (e.g. YourKit, Jprofiler)
- Experience with appserver load testing / benchmark software (e.g. SPECJAppserver, ECPerf, Trade, WebBench)
- Ability to use profiling and heap snapshot tools to identify hotspots and memory leaks
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documents, processes and presentations for technical audiences
Education and Experience
- BS in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- 2+ year experience in a technical customer-facing role
- 2+ years systems or network administration, Java software programming, or other relevant work