Zing™ JVM Benefits for Apache Lucene™ and Apache Solr™
Zing is the best JVM for Apache Lucene and Solr, providing more predictable response times and allowing large amounts of information to be held in-memory with no performance penalty. Lucene committer and PMC member Michael McCandless has tested Zing with Lucene and posted the results in his Changing Bits blog (part 1, part 2). The image below compares query response times for Apache Lucene on Oracle HotSpot using the CMS garbage collector and Azul Zing using the innovative C4 garbage collector. Graph courtesy of Michael McCandless. Click to zoom.
Benefits of the Zing JVM for Apache Lucene and Solr:
- Large in-memory datasets supporting RAMDirectory sizes up to 512 GB with no garbage collection penalty
- Stable and consistent response times under load, without constant tuning
- Elastic memory that allows Lucene to grow and shrink resource usage on-demand and avoid 'out of memory' crashes
- 100% Java-compatible and requires no coding changes
- Free open source developer access available. More details here, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a license.
Next section: Resources for improving Lucene performance with the Zing JVM »